Adelante is the Spanish word for “forward,” which describes our philosophy. We are working to improve our community and especially the lives of people with disabilities and seniors. Adelante helps people push past social barriers and stereotypes, set goals, and move forward in their lives.
Adelante is also known for moving forward through innovation and growth. Our organization began in 1978 with just 6 clients, all of whom were men with autism. Today, we have a positive impact on over 65,000 people a year including people with a variety of disabilities, the elderly, and disadvantaged populations, too.
In all that we do, Adelante strives to be a community resource.
Adelante was founded in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1978. Our primary service area is central New Mexico including Bernalillo and Valencia Counties though many of our services are available statewide and Ticket to Work is available across the U.S. Adelante is one of the larger and most diverse nonprofits in the state and among the top 10 non-governmental employers in New Mexico. Adelante is a nonprofit 501c3 organization, so donations to our agency are tax deductible and help us achieve our mission on behalf of people with disabilities, seniors, and people with disadvantages.
Adelante is focused on offering programs and running businesses that offer both value and high quality. We have pursued and won quality awards in the disabilities field as well as certifications and awards that are more widely recognized in the business world.
Adelante’s operating budget comes from Medicaid, state and federal grants, private contributions and the revenue generated by our social enterprises. Our website offers secure online donations. You can also support our mission by using our business services, donating furniture and other items through GiveABQ or our thrift store, or donating adaptive equipment.
Adelante is governed by a board of directors made up of civic-minded business people, parents, and guardians.
As a nonprofit organization, Adelante is governed by a board of directors that makes decisions about running the organization and help to ensure our ability to provide support services for the long run.
We are proud to have diverse and caring people on our board who bring knowledge, business savvy, and community connections to Adelante.
News & Media Connections
Adelante is known for innovation and diversity. There is almost always something new happening. Lots of news is shared on our blog or through social media, but we also end up in the newspaper or on television, too.
If you are a reporter or community partner who needs logos, a speaker, or information on Adelante, please contact our marketing team.
Adelante is widely recognized for quality in our social services as well as our business operations. Check out the list of local and national awards Adelante and our team members have received.
Awards Given to Adelante Development Center
- 2023 – Adelante earned the Platinum Level from Family Friendly New Mexico due to the benefits we offer our employees and our family friendly policies.
- 2022 – Adelante Bargain Square recognized as Best Thrift/Consignment Store in Valencia County. Adelante maintains recognition at the Gold Level from Family Friendly New Mexico.
- 2021 – Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce Nonprofit Organization of the Year. Adelante earns recognition at the Gold Level from Family Friendly New Mexico for the benefits we offer and the family friendly work place we offer our team members.
- 2020 – New Mexico Ethics in Business Awards recognized Adelante as the 2020 winner of the Hopkins Award for Excellence in Ethical Practice by a Large-Sized Nonprofit.
- 2020 Best of Valencia County – Best Thrift Store – Adelante Bargain Square
- 2020 Adelante earns recognition at the Gold Level from Family Friendly New Mexico for the benefits we offer and the family friendly work place we offer our team members.
- Adelante’s contract managing the dorms at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia, New Mexico won the Customer/Federal Civilian Award at the 2020 SourceAmerica National Conference
- 2019 Best of Valencia County – Best Nonprofit – Adelante
- 2019 Best of Valencia County – Best Thrift Store – Adelante Bargain Square
- 2019 Adelante earns recognition at the Silver Level from Family Friendly New Mexico for the benefits we offer and the family friendly work place we offer our team members.
- 2018 Best of Valencia County – Best Nonprofit – Adelante
- 2018 Best of Valencia County – Best Thrift Store – Adelante Bargain Square
- Best of Valencia County – Bargain Square Thrift Stores (2016)
- Albuquerque Business First 2015 Human Services Non-Profit of the Year (2015)
- Greater Belen Chamber of Commerce Member of the Year (2015)
- 2013 Albuquerque Business First – Adelante named one of New Mexico’s Healthiest Employers
- 2013 NMDOT 5310 Award – System of the Year for Elderly individuals and People with Disabilities
- New Mexico Business Weekly Sustainable Business of the Year (2012)
- Green Zia Environmental Leadership Program – Bronze Leader (2012)
- 2012 NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association Award of Merit – Adelante Secure Document Center
- New Mexico Association of Commerce and Industry VIVA Award (2011)
- Performance Excellence in Using the AbilityOne Program to Further Its Mission – NISH National Award (2011)
- New Mexico Business Weekly Community Partnership Award (2011)
- Merit Finalist, Mutual of America’s Community Partnership Awards (2011)
- Business Weekly Corporate Heroes Award (2010)
- NM American Marketing Association Print Advertiser of the Year (2010)
- Duke City Dozen Innovative Albuquerque Award (2010)
- Quality New Mexico Piñon Award (2009)
Awards/Certifications Given to Adelante Staff Members
- 2014 Mike Kivitz (CEO) inducted into the UNM Anderson School Hall of Fame
- 2014 Women of Influence Award finalist – Jill Beets (VP of Marketing)
- 2011 Community Leadership Award, Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce – Mike Kivitz (CEO)