Overview of GiveABQ
GiveABQ is a donations intake and distribution program designed to support multiple nonprofits in New Mexico by providing a single location for donation drop offs where social service nonprofits can select and get items they need for their organization or their constituents.
- Staff members to coordinate and help to operate GiveABQ
- Warehousing space and software to manage donations and inventory
- A website that allows participating nonprofits to purchase available items
- A truck and driver to help with donation pickups and deliveries in the Albuquerque Metro Area
Many nonprofits no longer accept in-kind donations or do so only on a limited basis because of the costs and other challenges involved with accepting those tangible donations. GiveABQ provides a viable solution for donors and nonprofits alike, and promotes cooperation, too.
Goals of GiveABQ & Positive Outcomes
- More efficient donation intake, processing, and distribution to people/organizations in need
- Greater collaboration between nonprofit organizations
- Less hassle for donors who want to give furniture or household items
- Job creation for people with disabilities and disadvantaged populations
- Reduction in waste as items can be re-purposed and re-used
- A multiplied effect that ripples throughout the community as nonprofits utilize more funds for direct services
- Mission Leveraging© — combining resources and programs in a manner that positively impacts the different missions of several organizations
Can individuals access GiveABQ Donations?
A: Individuals can only come to GiveABQ to access donated items by scheduling time and coming with a case manager or staff member from a participating Member nonprofit.
Are there any other fees for nonprofits?
A: Nonprofits do not have to pay fees for participation in GiveABQ. If they meet our basic requirements the nonprofit is given an initial set of GiveCoins to get items. If they need more items that can get more GiveCoin through contributions of volunteer time, items, or financial gifts.
GiveABQ does charge fees for deliveries or pickups for another nonprofit, but organizations can choose to use their own resources and avoid these fees.
Can organizations sell the items they’ve received through GiveABQ?
A: No. The items received through GiveABQ are intended to be directly used by the nonprofit that requests them, for either their own operation or for one or more of their clients. The items are not meant to be sold. Donors intend them to be used by a nonprofit and, by and large, that is what we expect to happen.
How does GiveABQ ensure fair distribution of inventory?
A: With the GiveCoins system, GiveABQ will track how much each organization receives and be able to compare it to other organizations. This will also help donors see where their donations were used, how many people benefited, and allow GiveABQ to provide feedback to donors about the value of their investments.